Rebirth -> Just Another Job

about dcr
welcome to DCR, we're primarily CW versed but do accept characters from other arcs and are willing to work with you on any DC character not related to any of our shows or canons.
the staff
updates
24.04.17 Skin completed and plot addition added.

28.04.17 Changes are complete, CANONS WANTED!.

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Add Reply
New Poll

Just Another Job, @Patrick O'Brian
Mar 28 2017, 12:26 AM Link Quote

(sometime in the past)

Jane was all decked out in her mask and black jacket as she waited patiently in the alleyway for the shopkeeper to lock up with the store. Just another few minutes, before she heard the car drive away. She waited until the lights turned off before heading for the back door of the shop. Padlocked, but of course, it was no match for her heat vision.

As she entered the jewelry store through the back, she looked around. She'd cased the store earlier in her civilian outfit. Even pretended to the clerk that she was shopping for a special someone. It had been all too easy to get to scan around with her x-ray vision while the shopkeeper was absorbed in finding the 'right ring' for her.

Well, she had been able to figure out all the weaknesses and entry points to the jewelry store. So that had made getting in this time was way too easy, in her opinion. So she was now inside, and went first to the security cameras, disabling them as well as the alarm system. She didn't normally rob Jewelry stores, preferring armored trucks...but given that there had been an alert to be on the lookout for a criminal matching her description, she decided to be safe and mix it up a bit.

She found the keys in the mans cabinet, taking a bag as she mentally calculated what to get. She just needed enough to cover her expenses. She was reasonable, she wouldn't take everything. She began to unlock some of the cabinets as she looked up at the street, to make sure that she wasnt being seen. Good, it had seemed empty.

But first, best to check the safe. She knew these places normally took credit, but there were some customers that really knew how to spend. As she used her x-ray vision, she found out the combination quickly and unlocked it. Yes there was money in there but also...some family photos of the shopkeeper that she had met.

Picture of her with her husband and kids smiling and happy. Underneath that...a divorce statement. And underneath that, a custody agreement. Listing of alimony payments. And finally, a bank statement. The shop was in the red and needed the money. Jane felt her heart sink. But she was already here...she needed the money too..

Damn, she should've ignored the safe, she thought. Well, she carefully put the money back and closed the safe.Nobody had been hurt....she thought as she frowned as she came through. Had that red carpet been here when she had entered? She shrugged. No, she was just seeing things, she thought. However one thing did tempt her as she turned and saw a box on a shelf. It said "unsorted merchandise." She opened it and here was all of the stuff that hadn't yet been catalogued.

What the store owner didn't know he had....she was tempted as she grabbed a few diamond rings. These were worth several thousand, she might be able to pawn them off at a pawn store for maybe half. As she turned she heard a noise, and turned cautiously, afraid it might be some security guard. "Who's there?" she said almost in a whisper.

@PATRICK O'BRIAN

This post has been edited by Jane Vance: Mar 28 2017, 12:34 AM

--------------------
user posted image
Thanks to @Rach for the Awesome signature!
168 posts | IC :: 28years old | VILLAIN | Send Message
codename :: Void application shipper wanted tracker played by Matt who is Offline
Mar 30 2017, 08:11 AM Link Quote

Stretch the Limit
What was he doing here? Just because he got superpowers didn't mean that he had to do something for the greater good with them, but that wasn't what he had been telling himself a few hours ago.

No, Pat had been standing in front of his bathroom mirror with a look of admiration on his face at the ensemble that he was wearing, and while he looked like a seventies sitcom character it was far better than any of the goofier articles of clothing that he had found. At the very least, he was going to become a humorous rumor which was better than no one taking notice of him at all.

Of course, he didn't want to be taken notice of right now as the perpetrator of the current crime was walking around the room, and Pat began to realize how lucky he was to have slipped in here in the first place without be seen. Which reminded him of how his luck was going today.

He had just been floating along in an airplane shape to see if he could get his feet wet with something easy like a mugging or a jaywalker, but instead he happened to see someone breaking into a shop with what he had assumed was a blowtorch. "Going to have to avoid that," he noted as he descended from the sky.

His initial approach was to slink in behind her like an eel, but Pat was hesitant to confront her just in case this was all just a misunderstanding. After all, maybe they had simply left their key inside the shop and enjoyed wearing burglar attire, and maybe he was just completely nervous about what he might have to do in a moment.

Working up his nerve, he flattened himself out on the floor to observe the person for a bit to make sure that he or she was working alone and to keep an eye out for that blowtorch. Pat wasn't sure how his body would react, but he also knew that no one liked extreme heat to any part of the body.

Sadly, it appeared as though the target had either stowed it or set it down somewhere before he had gotten in the room. Oh well, he would just have to deal with it when the time came.

As the perpetrator went around the room to look at things, he debated switching to a more favorable position, but just as he was about to shift the thief turned around suddenly. All that he could think was that this whole stealth thing was a lot more annoying than he had previously come to realize.

When it became apparent that the focus was solely on the box, Pat lifted himself off the floor and quickly shifted into the shape of a telephone that was off its hook, which was when she asked her question that he couldn't help but respond to.

"Yes, this is your conscious calling. Just wanted to update you on how morally wrong all of this is. Are you sure that you wouldn't rather just go home and bake some cookies?" As he said the last part, the receiver of the phone shape lifted off the counter and formed his head with the goofy goggles of his. "I personally prefer snicker doodles, but I wouldn't say no to any free sweets."

@Jane Vance

--------------------
user posted image

Credit to Rach for the nifty signature!
17 posts | IC :: 30years old | INACTIVE | Send Message
codename :: Plastic Man application shipper wanted tracker played by Shadow who is Offline
Mar 31 2017, 09:02 PM Link Quote

For a second jane really did believe that she had just been hearing things. After all, it did not appear as if there had been anyone , or if there were, she should be hearing some sort of silent alarm by now, she thought. Still, she kept hold of the rings that she had stolen, keeping an eye out, as she began to step forward, but she was taken off guard nevertheless.

Then she saw the phone, and the voice coming out of it. For a second she wanted to believe it really was her conscience, as she realized mentally it was probably the owner warning her remotely. She stepped back in some surprise, her mouth open as she didn't know what if anything to say. She had been caught red-handed....and even more of a surprise when...

The handle of the phone turned into someone's head. A Meta-Human. She realized as she felt like she had just had a bad turn in her day. "Are you...on security here?" She asked as she carefully unclenched her hand, letting the rings fall on the counter, and showing her empty hands to him. It was clear that he had followed her or had been in here the whole time.

"That was you...the phone," she said as she carefully chose her words as she realized that she didn't know what this man's powers were. So it paid in this instance to be extra careful so just in case he tried to physically restrain her. After all, she did remember one thing that he had said when she had still thought that it was the phone.

"Was that...a serious offer about saying I can still go home?" She pointed to the rings on the counter. She'd been caught but she hadn't broken anything so.... if she was careful no one except this man need ever know she'd been in the store at all. "Look. Thats all I took," she said pointing to the rings. "I just leave them here...and you let me go, how about it?"

She was hoping that he would take it. She had no desire to fight. And even less desire to end up hurting someone just because she didn't want to go to jail. But damn, at this point her freedom was worth more than the rings, and she could figure out another way to make up the money for her rent for the month. Hopefully he wasnt going to try to play the hero by trying to restrain her for the cops.

@PATRICK O'BRIAN

This post has been edited by Jane Vance: Apr 1 2017, 06:17 AM

--------------------
user posted image
codename :: Void application shipper wanted tracker played by Matt who is Offline
Apr 3 2017, 08:08 AM Link Quote

Stretch the Limit
Honestly, Pat was expecting a rather different reaction to the stunt that he had just pulled, but that wasn't to say that he didn't like the calm one that he was getting so far. Of course, he would have felt a lot better if he knew where the blowtorch was, but if she wasn't acting violent then he could probably put it out of his mind for now.

"I was also a rug for a minute, but Momma always said not to let people walk all over me." His mother hadn't actually said that, but someone's mother had and it was good advice nonetheless. Then again, it might go over bad if she decided to take that advice in the wrong context.

Upon hearing her plea, he realized that he had made an error in judgment in this instance because the good guys weren't supposed to let the bad guys go, but he had already made that offer. If he was anything, then he was a man of his word, but now he was in a humdinger of a pickle, which caused him to form his left arm and scratch his head.

Thinking on it for a minute, he supposed he could let her go if she agreed to pay for the things that she had damaged upon entering like the lock and the cameras, but if she was robbing the place then chances were money was a sore subject with her. Coming to this conclusion, he let out a loud sigh before returning his focus on her.

Perhaps if he could get her to turn from her evil ways, then it would more than make up for the damages that he couldn't get her to pay for, but this could prove more difficult as he wasn't that good of a talker. Well, he wasn't in this sense, but he would have to make do for both their sakes. Pat wasn't sure if he was capable of hitting a woman even if she was armed, and he didn't want to find out.

"So why are you knocking over jewelry stores for? I know times are tough all around, but there are a lot more legitimate ways to earn money than this." They weren't the fastest ways, but they were the safer ways that kept people from running into people like him or worse.

A faint feeling twinged where he had been injured before getting his powers, which brought back so many memories. "Trust me. I've been where you are now, and it isn't a path that ends well."

@Jane Vance

--------------------
user posted image

codename :: Plastic Man application shipper wanted tracker played by Shadow who is Offline
Apr 3 2017, 06:21 PM Link Quote

Her heart sank a bit when he told her that he had been in here as she ad arrived. So had he been watching her? She mentally thanked Rao that she had not broken any glass cases and not given away her super strength or any of her powers. If he thought that she was just an ordinary criminal, she might actually be able to take advantage of his offer to still leave.

Watching him form another arm, he had to be some kind of shape shifter, she thought. So in that case, she must be extra careful, as this was one of the hero types. She kept her hands where he could see them, on the glass case, and well away from the rings she had put there just now. Now he was trying to get her to talk, and while he did, she kept eyeing the door.

Damn. She had no idea if he was stalling for the cops, but she had a feeling if she tried to run for it, he might try to stop her. So she would play along. "Well....I need the money," Jane said as she leaned against the counter. "Loans, bills, you name it." That was a good general representation of why she needed it without giving him her entire life story. Maybe throw in a bit of a sympathetic touch as she looked down. "Also...rents coming due, and I don't know if I can scrape up enough in time."

After all, if this man knew who she was, he might use that against her. She was thankful she still had the domino mask on. However what he said next really intrigued her. Wait, so he had been a criminal tool? If so, how the hell had he gotten this hero gig? Jane had always thought that once you were one, you couldn't be the other.

"Wait...you were a criminal? How did you...." she didn't want to say 'turn your life around' but at the same time, she would be lying if she didn't say she wanted to hear a bit more. The thing about it not ending well, she expected, typical 'hero' bit to try to guilt trip her. The other part was what she was more interested in.

@PATRICK O'BRIAN

This post has been edited by Jane Vance: Apr 3 2017, 06:23 PM

--------------------
user posted image
Apr 5 2017, 09:22 AM Link Quote

Stretch the Limit
Just as he suspected, the woman was hard up for money, which was usually the case for most thieves. Sadly, Pat could not let that sway him from keeping her from doing wrong in this instance, so he was going to have to find a way to help her get some money another way. Of course, he didn't know of any specific ways to get quick cash besides taking out a loan, which would make things worse.

He was definitely going to have to stall for time to brainstorm some possible things she could do instead of being a criminal, and when she hooked into his comment about his past Pat knew exactly what he could do to stall her. The only problem he had was to decide whether he was going to tell her the whole truth or part of the truth. After all, he had a secret identity to maintain.

"Like most people who put on a mask, I had a life before this one, and its not one that I am proud of or able to talk in great depth on." He paused for a moment as he tried to think of how to put the next part of his tale without disclosing too much about himself to this person as blackmail was always a concern.

"Needless to say, something happened to me that showed me where I was going to end up, so I took the second chance that fate threw at me and became someone better. Become something better." While it sounded good in his head, Pat could have sworn that he had heard it somewhere else before, but he couldn't quite place where exactly it had been. Oh well, he was sure it had to be some self-help thing.

With his brief trip down memory lane, Pat had come up with a few methods of grabbing a hold of some quick cash without making other than pilfering people's wallet. "So now what are we to do about you? Can't have you doing this again as the next masked guy who happens upon might not be so considerate of what you might be going through?"

"Have you tried donating blood, recycling metal for cash or trying your hand at the lottery?"

@Jane Vance

--------------------
user posted image

Apr 5 2017, 09:02 PM Link Quote

One thing for sure that didn't seem to be working was getting this man to let her go. It seemed to her that he wanted to keep her talking. Stalling maybe? She wasnt sure. She listened to his brief history of his past with something of an interested expression on her face "So they just let you go and turn into a 'hero'?" Jane asked with some disbelief on her face.

How was that possible? A seed of some idea begin to cloud her expression as she went through that. Someone making a change like that...and of course 'they' was the bigger hero people and the law as a whole, she meant of course. But as she looked up, he was now asking what to do about her. And right now, that was the million dollar question.

For all he knew, she was just a human, and he ostensibly had the advantage due to his position as a metahuman. However, if she could keep it to where he didn't know she had powers as well, she might be able to pull something off. But she wasnt going to attack him unless he tried to restrain her. She did see to his left there was a small alarm button.

He didn't seem to notice it, but that caused concern since to was closer to him then it was to her. "Look," she said as she tried to divert his attention from the alarm. Well she was prepared to lie and make any false promises if it meant her freedom today. "These...arent really an option for me. I..." she took a breath as she focused on what she was going to say next.

"Look, what if I said to you that I'll try again to get money in a legitimate way," she said knowing that he could easily press the button on her in a second if he didn't believe her excuses. "I promise you, If you let me go, I'll hang up my mask and stop this lifestyle." This was a lie of course, but she couldn't go to jail and risk exposure as an alien in this city.

@PATRICK O'BRIAN

--------------------
user posted image
Apr 9 2017, 04:01 PM Link Quote

Stretch the Limit
"Actually, I think they thought I was dead. Probably still do in fact," he responded quickly. Now that he thought about it, Pat didn't really remember much of what happened after the bullet hit his body. There had just been a lot of pain, and then there was only feeling fine.

Well that and waking up inside of a room that he had never been in before, which didn't tell him much about the events in between those two things. He supposed his mind had rationalized that he was still breathing, so that had been good enough for him at the time.

Making a note to look into those missing hours, he returned his focus on the one in front of him who he was trying to help, which wasn't going so well as she said the ways he had suggested weren't really a probable plan for her. Pat supposed he could press her for a reason why, but that might make her hostile or something. That was not something he wanted to encourage.

Instead, he chose to focus on her offer to try and go about this the right way, and Pat sort of cocked his eye at that notion. It wasn't that he didn't think it was possible for her to keep her word. There just wasn't enough evidence of her integrity to take her word for it. No honor among thieves or something like that.

"I don't know, Suzy-Q. That kind of promise only works if there is some guaranteed way for me to keep tabs on you to make sure you are doing just that, and something tells me that handing out your daily itinerary isn't an option for you either." Pat gave her a random name because calling her thief or criminal was likely to get a rise out of her as easy as pressing her for more information.

"And as a former thief to a current one, I already know how easy it can be to fall back into old habits." So far, he was doing good by focusing on the hero thing, but with his abilities it would be easy to rob any place blind. "You see where I am coming from, dontcha?"

@Jane Vance

--------------------
user posted image

Apr 10 2017, 02:42 AM Link Quote

"Oh umm..." Jane didn't quite know how to respond to that one at all, it left her at a loss for words. However, her mind was going through the various options right now. "Well, not quite sure what to say, but you seem to have come through out of that experience all right for the most part." As for her, she was still keeping one weather eye on the exit.

His response did not seem very encouraging to her, quite the opposite really as he seemed to shut down the offer that she had just made. "You know I can't let you do that, Hero man," she said as she reached to scratch her head for a moment as she knew. That revealing to him a way to keep tabs on her would mean that he would find out what she was... dammit.

"I mean, I do know where you're coming from," she said as she got off from leaning on the counter, clapping her hands together. "So...it seems that negotiations maybe won't work at this time, because your being very clear that you won't take me at my word." That was understandable, she knew the dynamics, to him, she was just another bad guy.

She didn't see herself as the bad guy of course, if she was so bad, would she have closed that safe without taking anything after having seen the papers? That was true, at least thats what she told herself. As she looked at him, she was slowing inching to the side, taking one tentative step as she began edging towards the exit.

If she could get to the exit before him, she might be able to escape. The alleyway was uncovered and she could just fly away without him being able to catch her. "So yeah, its been great, Mr. Hero but I really must be going..." she said as she stretched out a hand, reaching for the door. She could almost grab it...she didn't want to use her powers to get to it because of the cramped space, and it needed to be manually unlocked, and with this guys powers he could beat her there no doubt.

"But hey, you technically stopped a robbery here Mr. Hero so how about we just call it a draw if the person just slipped through your fingers..." she said as she made a sudden dash for the door which she had closed behind her in her initial entrance. She just did it human speed so he wouldn't notice anything unusual with her and hoped she would be able to get away.

@PATRICK O'BRIAN
(Added that last bit in to give it some more drama, feel free to have him use his powers to stop her from trying to escape!)

--------------------
user posted image
Apr 16 2017, 12:23 PM Link Quote

Stretch the Limit
She was certainly right about one thing, and that was the part about him coming out of it better. In a sense, his whole world had changed on that day as both his mind and body were reformed as something stronger and more adaptable, but not all of the old him was gone. He still had his endearing wit and some tendencies to make the law as flexible as he had become.

In fact, the current situation was proof of the latter point, but even as each moment passed where Pat was closer to letting her get away he was having second thoughts about it. After all, he was a technical hero, which meant that he sometimes needed to be less of a friend and more of an authority figure. Then he remembered that he had given the option already, and now he knew that he was in quite a conundrum.

"See, I knew you would say that," he said when she confirmed that no personal information would be given. This definitely brought them to what should have probably been a predictable impasse, which only left what usually came with a couple of punches being thrown. Pat had so been looking forward to a peaceful resolution to this whole situation, but it was not to be.

Even as she spoke about leaving, he noted her whole body begin to shift toward the door, and for exactly one second he considered letting her make her escape. Logically, she was right that he had essentially adverted this crime, but there was the next one to think about it. As much as he wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, Pat just couldn't let her get away,and so he went with the one thing to do in such situations.

"I'm afraid I can't let you walk away without answering for the breaking and entering charge," he said as he lunged forward with the intent of wrapping her up with his arms while shifting the rest of his form in front of the door. Even if she dodged his coiling arms, Pat could be assured that there was no way that she was going to escape through the door as long as he was there, but it would be funny to see her try.

If he could get her wrapped up, then Pat's next step was going to be to find the dang blowtorch she used to cut the lock, and hopefully it wouldn't be in a spot that was vastly inappropriate for one such as him to find it. He was still a hero, so being unsavory and crude was not something he could do. That and he hardly knew her, so it was too soon for such kind of ideas. "Besides, I thought we were just becoming friends."

@Jane Vance

--------------------
user posted image

Apr 18 2017, 12:15 AM Link Quote

For a second it seemed that she was actually going to get away. That she would be able to look back on that near miss and laugh about it, or more likely be scared off enough to swear that she would avoid that section of town next time she needed money. She was propelled by adrenaline as she made for the door, ready to barge through it and escape.

Jane was so close...when she heard him say he wouldn't let her go. Of course...she thought shaking her head. But before she could react or say anything, she felt something wrap around her. Looking down, she realized...his stretchy arms were coiled around her body, and preventing her from moving her arms.

"No!" She cried out as she stumbled a bit, caught by surprise by his move. She could try and force her arms out, but that would hurt him she knew. And second, she was trying to make sure he didn't find out about her powers until she could get away. If he knew she had powers he might not stop at just binding her arms...she did make a show at a struggle though.

Seeing the rest of the form at the door, she made a jump for the front door, but didn't quite manage to make it over the counter. The glass smashed as her foot kicked it and she fell. She shouldn't have fallen...she saw a ring on the case that she had smashed. It had a glowing green rock on it, and for some reason being near it..she felt weak.

She slumped down onto the ground as she felt now no strength to push her way out of the coiled arms. That damn rock... She saw a mirror next to her, and realized to her horror that as she had stumbled, her mask had fallen off, leaving her face exposed and visible to him. "Look....I....surrender," she said looking back at him as she was temporarily powerless. The key was now that if he had her at his mercy, that he should not suspect he had anything more then a defenseless cat burger.

"I give up," she said, hanging her head in defeat. Maybe if he believed her, he would lead her into the street for the cops where she could regain her strength and get away. Hopefully he wasnt going to be the type to try to force her here until the police arrived. Her face was the picture of misery though, knowing that she would lose her apartment due to failure to pay the rent if she had to go to jail.

"Why couldn't you have just....you lied." She said thinking about his earlier offer. Still, there was nothing she could do now as the green rock was weakening her to a human level. Fine. If he was going to keep her there for the cops, time to be direct. "How...how...long until I get out of jail?" If she sounded scared, it was because she was. It wasnt fair, she had been going to leave and now she was facing jail. She tried to be brave, but she was failing.

@PATRICK O'BRIAN

(Note: this was set before aliens were widely news meaning she could've conceivably gone to jail for a month or two without people figuring it out)

This post has been edited by Jane Vance: Apr 18 2017, 12:28 AM

--------------------
user posted image
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Paradox | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us | Apply ]
Candyland Couture Shadowplay Shine RPGD Walk among the tombstones believe in heroes In humanty's shadow Malestrom Fractured Reality Confringo Abandon All Hope Keys To The City Mortal Ends War Against Batman Blood Rush Ideal World The Arrow Howl at the Moon We are Stars TWD Silent Screams Justice League; The Beinning Angels of Gotham We are Warriors Going South Gods Among Men A New Dawn 

skin by Rach.

VOTE FOR US.

please vote every day.